Alfresco platform is developed using Java technology. Apache Tomcat, JBoss or Weblogic can all be used as an application server. Alfresco needs DBMS such as Apache Derby, MySQL, PostgreSQL and HSQL. Alfresco can be installed on any operating system, which supports all the mentioned components – Windows, Linux, Solaris etc.
Commercial edition Alfresco Enterprise additionally provides enterprise grade software support:
- Server OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Windows Server, Sun Solaris, Ubuntu, Suse
- Enterprise level DBMS: Oracle, SQL Server, DB2 etc.
- Enterprise level application servers: WebLogic, WebSphere etc.
- Integration with proprietary applications and clients add-ins
Alfresco is an ECM platform, designed to address problems of enterprise content management. Based on the platform, different modules can be created to tackle particular problems of users, for example, contracts approval, documents archive, requests processing etc.
Alfresco is characterized by high degree of modularity and scalable performance. What makes it different are: open source, high stability and customization to meet the needs of a particular business of any scale.
Main functional modules of Alfresco platform are:
- Document Management is a virtual file system, search engine with support of full-text and attributive search, preview of the documents content in browser, change notifications. Data versioning is supported: you can always view the change history of a particular document and roll back to the version you need. Documents can be sorted by categories using tags.
- Workflow engine provides an infrastructure for business processes automation, including configuration of tasks routing.
- Web Content Management is a complete CMS system, which is put together with Drupal/Joomla. Any number of sites is supported, automated clustering, virtualization, projects and versions support, deploying copies of sites etc.
- Records Management is a single repository to manage all formats of content supporting DOD 5015.2 certification. Automated data retrieval and classification, archiving into ODF/PDF, audit and access management, quick search, creation of different reports.
- Image Management is a single repository for managing all the formats of documents. Automated metadata collection and classification, search, automated notifications are available.
- Content Repository includes security functions, access control, audit, searching and supports a lot of standards (Web Services, JSR 168, JSR 170 Level 2, MyFaces, WebDAV, SQL, RSS, ODF, OpenSearch), access to all actions through hyper-link, access via CIFS, FTP, WebDAV and CMIS protocols, combined search by many parameters.
Alfresco platform is a tool for effective collaborative work, enterprise content management, creation of electronic archives and project management. Using user-friendly Alfresco web-interface you can access data from anywhere via secured connection. Users work with Alfresco through any browser. Access to system is available from tablets and smartphones.
Key features of Alfresco platform are:
- System of virtual “intelligent” spaces for storing and working with data. Working with documents is as easy as with general resources in local network, but much more productive.
- Open source: Alfresco is a free software product. Open technology allows to easily customize the platform to meet the company’s unique needs.
- Clients are provided with the full rights to modify the system, as well as free updating of system versions.
- Unlimited number of workstations: all employees of the company have access to Alfresco system, including external contractors. Web-focused applications allow to reach unlimited scalability and independence from the software used on workstations.
- High performance: tests showed average uploading speed of 140 files per second. A total of 107 million files were uploaded.
- Multiple platforms support: both server and client’s parts can be built practically on any operating system, for example, Windows, Mac, UNIX, FreeBSD.
Implementing Alfresco allows clients to cut operational costs due to:
- Quick search of documents and files
- No lost documents, no need to copy the content
- Quick document editing and approval
- Dividing personal responsibility of employees on different stages of working with documents
- Complying with the access control policy to files
- Securing and protecting data bases
- No licensing fees for the software